The internet is the best search tool. Here are some sites to get you started.
Suggested Reading List
The Adoption Council of Canada does not endorse any of these books, however, we provide this listing as a starting place for your own research reading on adoption.
NOTE: We suggest you ask your public/college/university library to order any books they do not already own on this subject and that you think would be valuable.
Planning and Preparation for Adoption
1. Jewett, Claudia. Adopting the Older Child - Harvard, Mass.: Harvard Common Press, 1978.
2. Schooler, Jayne. The Whole Life Adoption Book: Realistic Advice for Building a Healthy Adoptive Family - Colorado Springs: Pinon, 1993.
3. Webber, Marlene. As if Kids Mattered: What's Wrong in the World of Child Protection and Adoption: - Toronto: Key Porter, 1998.
Parenting Adopted Children
6. Melina, Lois. Raising Adoptive Children: a Manual for Parents - New York: Harper & Row, 1986.
7. Schaffer, Judith and Christina Lindstrom. How to Raise an Adopted Child: a Guide to Help your Child to Flourish from infacny through Adolescence - New York: Copestone, 1989.
8. Van Gulden, Holly and Lisa Bartles-Rabb. Real Parents, Real Children: Parenting the Adopted Child - New York: Crossroad, 1995.
9. Wadia-Ells, Susan. The Adoption Reader: Birth Mothers, Adoptive Mothers and Adoptive Daughters Tell their Stories - Seattle: Seal Press, 1995.
"Special Needs" Adoption
2. Our Son a Stranger: Adoption Breakdown and Its Effects on Parents
14. Babb. L. Anne and Rita Laws. Adopting and Advocating for the Special needs Child: a Guide for Parents and Professionals - Westport, Conn.: Bergin & Gervey, 1997.
15. Edelstein, Susan. Children with pre-natal Alcohol and/or Other Drug Exposure: Weighing the Risks of Adoption - Washington, D.C.:CWLA Press, 1995. Child and Welfare League of America
16. McNamara, Joan and bernard McNamara. Adoption and the Sexually Abused Child - Ossingto, N.Y.:Family Resources, 1990.
17. Register, Cheri. "Are Those Kids Yours?" American Families with Children Adopted from Other Countries - New York: Free Press, 1991.
Books for Adopted Children/Youth
10. Fredlove, Ann. Advice for Adopted Kids (by Ann Fredkove [an adopted kid] age9) - Minneapolis: 1985. Adoptive Families of America
11. Krementz, Jill. How it Feels to be Adopted - New York: Knopf, 1982.